Welcome to Doctor Warrick's Podcast Channel. Warrick is a practicing cardiologist and author with a passion for improving care by helping patients understand their heart health through education. Warrick believes educated patients get the best health care. Discover and understand the latest approaches and technology in heart care and how this might apply to you or someone you love.
In this podcast, Doctor Warrick Bishop interviews Associate Professor David Colquhoun, a cardiologist and co-president at the prevention arm of the Cardiac Society of Australia, New Zealand.
They discuss a recent debate on the merits of cholesterol and whether doctors have it right. They criticize the opposing team's arguments, including Mary Ann DeMasi's controversial Catalyst program, Ross Walker's claim that only one out of 19 people on statins need to be on it, and Anthony Shappie's focus on fructose and inflammation as the drivers for plaque formation.
They also discuss Doctor Malhotra's comments on interpreting data appropriately and Big Pharma's vested interest. They emphasize the importance of LDL particle levels, Mediterranean-style diets, and improving risk factors to prevent outcomes. They also stress the need for a holistic approach to coronary disease, including assessing for depression.
- Doctor Warrick Bishop is a practicing cardiologist and author who believes that educated patients get the best healthcare.
- Associate Professor David Colquhoun is co-president at the prevention arm of the Cardiac Society of Australia, New Zealand, and a board member of the Heart Foundation of Australia, and an experienced cardiologist, both with clinical and research backgrounds.
- The debate discussed the merits or not of cholesterol and whether doctors have it right.
- Mary Ann DeMasi, who was central in the Catalyst program a number of years ago, created controversy and a lot of discussion.
- Anthony Shappie focused on fructose and inflammation as the drivers for plaque formation and really dismissed that cholesterol was problematic and suggested there wasn't much research for that.
- Steve Malhotra's presentation within the debate was really around are we interpreting the data appropriately for individuals and the role of Big Pharma.
- LDL cholesterol particle is far more atherogenic cause, and atherosclerosis is like a pimple inside your artery.
- The particles, the LDL particle, the lipoproteins, the interaction at a cellular microscopic level is insanely complicated, convoluted and variable between individuals.
- A Mediterranean type diet decreases first events by 30% within a three-year period.
- Always assess for depression using the PHQ-2, patient health questionnaire.
You've been listening to another podcast from Doctor Warrick. Visit his website at drwarrickbishop.com for the latest news on heart disease. If you love this podcast, feel free to leave us a review.
Check out my books at https://drwarrickbishop.com/page/books
Take Free Heart Risk Check- KNOW YOUR REAL RISK OF HEART ATTACK
Heart disease is the number one killer in the Western World and can be prevented in many cases. Being fit and healthy is no guarantee that the arteries in your heart are in good shape. We believe you can prevent a heart attack. We can put in place strategies to reduce risk. We can literally plan to change your future...
Find out more: https://virtualheartscan.com/index
Join The Healthy Heart Network For Only $5 Lifetime Access (Valued at over $55)!