Welcome to my podcast. I am Doctor Warrick Bishop, and I want to help you to live as well as possible for as long as possible. I’m a practising cardiologist, best-selling author, keynote speaker, and the creator of The Healthy Heart Network. I have over 20 years as a specialist cardiologist and a private practice of over 10,000 patients.
In this episode, Doctor Warrick Bishop continues his interview with Doctor Helen Cooley, a Hobart-based rheumatologist, about how to approach individuals with suspicion of osteoporosis. Doctor Cooley emphasizes the importance of lifestyle factors such as smoking, alcohol consumption, and exercise, as well as diet and supplements. She recommends getting calcium from the diet rather than supplements, and suggests taking vitamin D and K2 supplements if necessary. She also mentions the Garvan risk calculator, which can help determine a person's fracture risk. An interesting point she makes is that calcium supplements should be taken with meals to ensure optimal absorption.
- Osteoporosis is a condition that can lead to fractures and is more common in postmenopausal women.
- Risk calculators can be used to determine an individual's risk of fracture.
- Smoking and excessive alcohol consumption can have a negative impact on bone density.
- Weight-bearing exercise is important for maintaining bone density.
- Calcium should be obtained from the diet rather than supplements.
- Vitamin D is important for optimal absorption of calcium and phosphate.
- Vitamin K2 may have a role in calcium metabolism, but its benefits in osteoporosis are uncertain.
- Leafy green vegetables are a good source of vitamin K.
- Coronary artery disease kills one in four people, so it is important to evaluate risk.
Australia, like the rest of the western world, has a heart problem.
Over 9 million people around the world die from heart disease every year.
Every 10 minutes, someone in Australia suffers a heart attack. And 21 lives are lost daily because of it.
The devastating fact in all of this is…
Almost every one of those cases could have been prevented.
This podcast is for anyone who wants to improve their health literacy and gain information to help them make the best decisions about their risk of heart attack, their cholesterol, blood pressure, risk of diabetes, weight loss and general health. Join me on my personal mission journey to prevent Heart Attack on a global scale. If you like this podcast, I would be honoured by a 5-star review and appreciate if you let your friends and family know about this podcast; you may even save the life of someone you love!
Are You at Risk of a Sudden Heart Attack? How Healthy is Your Heart? Really?
Heart disease is the #1 killer in the Western World. In Australia, someone dies every 28 minutes from heart disease. That’s 51 people a day. In the US, someone has a heart attack every 40 SECONDS! Fortunately, many heart attacks are preventable. However, regular exercise and eating healthy are no guarantee you won’t succumb to this silent killer.
- 94% of Australians have at least One Risk Factor for heart disease.
- 59% of Australians have been Touched by heart disease.
- Yet only 3% of Australians have had a Full Heart-Health Assessment in the past 12 months.
Do the free heart check today at www.virtualheartcheck.com.au
Join the Healthy Heart Network and become part of our growing community!
Do You Want to Improve Your Heart’s Health and Reduce Your Risk of Suffering a Heart Attack? Join The Healthy Heart Network For Only $5 Lifetime Access (Valued at over $55)!
The Healthy Heart Network is designed to help members:
- understand the present state of their heart’s health
- recognise their current level of risk of suffering a heart attack
- Learn the positive steps they can take to improve their situation
Visit https://healthyheartnetwork.com/ and click on the JOIN THE FAMILY BUTTON