Welcome to my podcast. I am Doctor Warrick Bishop, and I want to help you to live as well as possible for as long as possible. I’m a practising cardiologist, best-selling author, keynote speaker, and the creator of The Healthy Heart Network. I have over 20 years as a specialist cardiologist and a private practice of over 10,000 patients.
In this podcast, Doctor Warrick Bishop discusses chocolate and its health effects.
Chocolate is traced back to the Olmec civilizations and is made from a tree seed called cacao. When roasted, it becomes cocoa. Chocolate contains fat and sugar, which carry calories that can lead to weight gain, raised blood pressure, diabetes, and coronary artery disease. There is talk about whether cocoa has antioxidants that could be beneficial and whether it can have a cholesterol-lowering effect. Some studies suggest that chocolate may reduce the risk of heart disease, stroke, and brain decline, but confounders in these studies can be difficult to interpret.
Doctor Bishop recommends consuming chocolate in moderation, particularly for those looking to lose weight or at risk of diabetes. He suggests enjoying a treat once or twice a year, such as during Easter time. Overall, there is not a lot of data to suggest that chocolate is good for us, but it can be enjoyed in moderation.
- Doctor Warrick Bishop is a practicing cardiologist and author who is passionate about improving care by educating patients about their heart health.
- Chocolate is a popular treat during Easter, but it is important to consider its health implications.
- Chocolate is made from a tree seed called cacao, which is roasted to become cocoa.
- Chocolate contains fat and sugar, which can lead to weight gain, raised blood pressure, diabetes, and coronary artery disease.
- There is some research suggesting that cocoa flavonoids may reduce cholesterol and that small amounts of chocolate may reduce the risk of stroke.
- However, the research is not particularly robust, and confounding factors can make it difficult to interpret.
- Chocolate may have some potential health benefits, but it should be consumed in moderation.
- If you are looking to lose weight or are at risk of diabetes, it is best to keep chocolate consumption levels down.
- Doctor Warrick Bishop does not recommend chocolate consumption for his patients whose cholesterol he is looking to lower.
- Doctor Warrick Bishop encourages patients to visit his website for the latest news on heart disease and to leave a review if they enjoyed his podcast.
Australia, like the rest of the western world, has a heart problem.
Over 9 million people around the world die from heart disease every year.
Every 10 minutes, someone in Australia suffers a heart attack. And 21 lives are lost daily because of it.
The devastating fact in all of this is…
Almost every one of those cases could have been prevented.
This podcast is for anyone who wants to improve their health literacy and gain information to help them make the best decisions about their risk of heart attack, their cholesterol, blood pressure, risk of diabetes, weight loss and general health. Join me on my personal mission journey to prevent Heart Attack on a global scale. If you like this podcast, I would be honoured by a 5-star review and appreciate if you let your friends and family know about this podcast; you may even save the life of someone you love!
Are You at Risk of a Sudden Heart Attack? How Healthy is Your Heart? Really?
Heart disease is the #1 killer in the Western World. In Australia, someone dies every 28 minutes from heart disease. That’s 51 people a day. In the US, someone has a heart attack every 40 SECONDS! Fortunately, many heart attacks are preventable. However, regular exercise and eating healthy are no guarantee you won’t succumb to this silent killer.
- 94% of Australians have at least One Risk Factor for heart disease.
- 59% of Australians have been Touched by heart disease.
- Yet only 3% of Australians have had a Full Heart-Health Assessment in the past 12 months.
Do the free heart check today at www.virtualheartcheck.com.au
Join the Healthy Heart Network and become part of our growing community!
Do You Want to Improve Your Heart’s Health and Reduce Your Risk of Suffering a Heart Attack? Join The Healthy Heart Network For Only $5 Lifetime Access (Valued at over $55)!
The Healthy Heart Network is designed to help members:
- understand the present state of their heart’s health
- recognise their current level of risk of suffering a heart attack
- Learn the positive steps they can take to improve their situation
Visit https://healthyheartnetwork.com/ and click on the JOIN THE FAMILY BUTTON